Look for the girl in the faded blue Dodgers hat and she's gone...

Monday, July 26, 2010

The Greatest Songs EVER. According to Rolling Stone. (409-400)

409. "Crossroads"-Cream
I was surprised to learn that this is actually a cover of Robert Johnson. Arranged by Eric Clapton, this track includes some of his best guitar work and has often been called "the greatest live guitar solo ever". It doesn't sound all that different from "Sunshine of Your Love" at first listen, but then he rips into the solo that distinguishes it. A great track, one of Cream's best. I highly recommend.

408. "Sweet Emotion"-Aerosmith

This track is one of those that you could swear you've heard before but you don't know where. It's got that instantly recognizable chorus. The guitar riff is very catchy, along with a great bassline that you can't help but sway to. In fact, you can't help but move when you hear this track at all. It comes from Aerosmith's first album and it really launched them into the mainstream. A fun track that I recommend, it'll have you singing "Sweeeeeeeeeeetttttt Emoooooooootion" for weeks on end.

407. "In Bloom"-Nirvana

Boring, undecipherable, and repetitive. I don't know how many other ways I can put it.

406. "I Believe I Can Fly"-R. Kelly
Come on now, there isn't a soul out there that hasn't heard this song. If you grew up in the 90's like myself, you probably heard it at the end of "Space Jam". It's just so lushly dramatic and inspiring, it strikes a chord with everyone. The vocals are great and soulful and very sing-a-longable.

405. "We've Only Just Begun"-The Carpenters
The pioneers of the soft rock genre: The Carpenters. This song is just SO distinctly 70's with a cheesy horn section and the production style. It has "Wedding slow dance" written all over it, and I'm certain it's been used at many. It's good, not something I'd listen to on my own free will.

404. "Visions of Johanna"-Bob DylanLet me start out by saying that I didn't listen to the entire song. Why? because this track comes in at 7:30 in total length. It's a formulaic Dylan track, with quasi-mystical lyrics that you don't quite understand but are certain that are just great and profound. This is a good track for as long as you can stand to listen to it, which for me was about the first 5 minutes.

403. "C'mon Everybody"-Eddie Cochran
You have to give Eddie Cochran credit for the number of guitarists he inspired, including one George Harrison. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, it was "20 Flight Rock" that Paul McCartney played for John Lennon to get into the Quarrymen. Anyway, this track sounds fresh even after all these years. It's very crisp and clean, like if Buddy Holly had been British. It's fun and pleasing to the ears, I'd highly recommend it for a summer playlist over say...Katy Perry.

402. "Thank You (Falettinme be Mice Elf Again) -Sly and the Family Stone


This track is undeniably funk. And it's the best funk I've heard. I couldn't help but start to move when I heard it. It's got such a fun group element to it, like the kind of song you would sing with a bunch of friends while you were hanging out. I couldn't get enough of this track, a must-listen.

401. "Tonight's the Night"-The Shirelles

I wasn't really crazy about this track. It was good, but it wasn't any better than the other girl groups that came before it. The backing vocals on it were annoying enough.

400. "Kicks"-Paul Revere and the Raiders

This was good, I liked it and would listen to it again but it sounds exactly like everything else from the era it came from. Jangly guitars, singer has a little bit of grit in his voice but not too much, basically like a Beatles throwaway. It would blend seamlessly onto one of those time life decade collections that are advertised all the time.

My favorite from this batch? Definitely "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Again)" by Sly and the Family Stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment