Look for the girl in the faded blue Dodgers hat and she's gone...

Monday, June 14, 2010

The Greatest Songs EVER. According to Rolling Stone. (419-410)

I apologize for the lapse in this!

419. "Nuthin But a G Thang"-Dr. Dre/Snoop Dogg

I didn't actually listen to this track for a couple reasons. 1. I hate rap and think it's worthless. 2. The lyrics are not even worth subjecting my eardrums to. I do happen to know a little bit about this track however. This was Doctor Dre's first big hit, really launching him into what he has now become.

418. "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes"-Crosby Stills and Nash

First of all, the harmonies on this track are IMMACULATE. They immediately jump out from the speakers and just glide over the sweet lyrics. However, this is a suite, meaning that it goes on for quite some time finally ending at 7:26. I was actually reading that Crosby Stills and Nash was created specifically for this song, Graham Nash being the last to join adding the high third harmony. A great song, you hardly notice how long it's going on it's just so pretty.

(I'm skipping 417, if your really interested you can go look it up. It just wasn't even going to be worth my time.)

415. "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)"-The Four Tops

This track was just like it's title, sugary sweet. Almost TOO sugary and sweet. It's a good track, nothing spectacular and certainly better than some of the other tracks in this portion of the list. It's short and sweet which was a relief after the last track, but in the end it's not something I'm going to remember 20 minutes from now.

414. "Young Blood"-The Coasters


This track was more bluesy than I expected. It's actually one of the Coasters B-Sides which speaks to the quality of their A-Sides. According to wikipedia, the lyrical content of this song is as follows. "Boy meets girl, then meets girl's father, who does not approve of boy - so the boy departs, but cannot stop thinking about the girl, declaring "You're the one, you're the one, you're the one"."

413. "The Girl Can't Help It"-Little RichardThis song is crazy catchy in classic Little Richard style. It's actually the title track from a movie of the same name, and it's been covered by just about everyone. Most recently, Fergie sampled this track in her song "Clumsy". The piano on this track is really rollicking and Little Richards vocals are great. It's an awesome track that'll really get you going.

411. "I Feel Love"-Donna Summer

I was not at all excited to listen to this track being as I have a vendetta against anything related to disco. So needless to say, when I saw that this track was 5:53, I wasn't pleased. This track is just like a long techno/disco jam with Donna Summer's high pitched wailing of words I couldn't understand. I would definitely skip this one.

410. "Monkey Gone to Heaven"-The Pixies

Did I understand what this track was talking about? No, but I still loved it. It's got a punk undertone, but it maintains it's alt-rock feeling with ease. It's catchy and the guitars are great and if someone were just getting into the Pixies this is what you would start out with. Great track which is apparently about environmentalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment